Tuesday, October 6, 2015

New Writing Unit

Dear third grade family,

Our class is about to begin a Writer’s Workshop unit on Personal Narratives.  A personal narrative is a story about an actual incident in the writer’s life told in the first person point of view.  During this unit we will read and analyze published personal narratives (as examples), and your child will have the opportunity to brainstorm, draft, revise and edit, and publish his/her own personal narrative.

This is an exciting unit for the children, as they get to explore their own real life experiences to learn how writers draw on their own experiences.   

For example, I may choose to write about my experience of learning to ride a bike. I could bring a photograph of me riding my bike.

We’d like you to help your child choose an experience to write about.  If possible, please send a photograph that may help inspire your child as he/she writes their personal narrative. Please fill out and return the attached form by Monday, October 12.  


Ideas to help your child consider when selecting a topic:
  • Is this an event I recall well enough to write about? (The student needs to be able to remember the event.)
  • What are some details I can tell about this event? (Brainstorm those together at home.)

Event/Topic Ideas:
  • Getting a family pet
  • A vacation or trip
  • A memorable baseball game (or any sport)
  • A time I was injured or hurt (ex. when I broke my leg or got my tonsils out)
  • Being in a  wedding
  • Building a snowman with my family
  • Birth of  baby brother/sister
Child’s Name:
Personal Narrative Topic

I will write about:


Some details I remember about this event are:
1.

2.

3.

4.

Attach a photo if available - can be a photocopy or printout (or you can email me a digital copy of your child’s photo and I will print it)

No comments:

Post a Comment